Monday, December 22, 2014

Holidays-Birthdays-Living Life



Every Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year and around Paul's Birthday (May 31) I would take Paul to Dad and Kathy's, or Mom's or both and then spend time with Paul for 3 or 4 days. I would sometimes share the holidays with Cam...she would take Paul on one of the holidays and I would have him the other two. Birthdays were shared with Mom initially, but since she moved to WA around the turn of the century it's been me mostly.

Since I have been in Idaho, I have had to make other arrangements for these days. I try to get to Missoula to spend them with Paul and actually have been able the past two Christmas's however it is not the norm anymore.

It honestly sucks! (see me pouting)

I realize it is life...my life. However, I hate the fact that Paul spends this time without family. This Christmas I made arrangements to be there over the New Year as Anastasia was to be there for Christmas. Unfortunately, she cannot. So it was a quick and pleasant call to his wrap around coordinator to make sure he was spending the holiday with his friends. :-)

The really sad part is that so many of the individuals in Paul's condition have no families who care enough to leave their lives and spend these special days with their disabled family members. The services are so use to no family contact that when they deal with a family who do care and are involved...whether in 1s, 2s, 3s, or 4s. It is a transition and communication is very, very, very important.

Paul is such a blessing and to have the opportunities I have had with being apart of his life whether as a guardian or more importantly as a little sister, I just get all mushy on these days and wish I could be there in Missoula with him much more than I am. We all would.

MERRY CHRISTmas everyone and know that 
JESUS LIVES and that this time is about LOVE and FAMILY!!!
Remembering always of the Love Heavenly Father has for each of us, His children and that we are responsible to love each other as best as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment