Thursday, November 13, 2014

Foundation of Love

Over the past 29 years I have celebrated my brother Paul by sharing his world, his passions and his love for life with the family that distance and time took him away from, with the friends he has met in his world and with my friends that celebrate Paul with me.

It has been 29 years since his horrible one car rollover in 1986, where he was given 10 hours to live. Seven and half months later, he came out of his coma and began his life over. I was 17 going on 18 and into my Senior year of high school. I did not have a clue as to what was going to happen to my brother or to our family. The first 3.5 years he spent with our Dad, Rod, and his wife, Kathy, with our little sister Stacey (aka Anastasia), learning how to talk, how to walk, and how to live again. What Kathy gave Paul was a life that has endured since he woke up that November of 1986.

He has since out lived and out shown any expectation of what a person was able to have after the severity of his brain trauma. He paved new paths and is still teaching those who work with him from his caretakers to his doctors to his friends and I think most importantly to his family. I have been so blessed with his gift of life and the love he shares with all who come in contact with him. I am very protective of my brother Paul. I love him so much and want to share our experiences with other families, friends, and caregivers of those with TBI (traumatic brain injury).

For this reason, I am creating a foundation for Traumatic Brain Injury in celebration of Paul. The roads I have been on with him have not been easy. His fight and zest for life simply wouldn't and still won't quit. As he gets older we face some very heavy decisions as to his care. I know if my brother could express his thoughts he would want to help others in similar situations and support them on their journey.

This blog will be about Paul's journey up to this point and to whatever and wherever the future takes him. I will be his voice as well as share what I have learned so others may be assisted with their journeys.

Once my foundation is up, I will link this to the webpage where those who visit it will have free access to anything and everything about TBI. My hope and prayers is that our family's experiences will help TBI victims, their families, their caregivers and those medical professionals through the many, many challenges and opportunities ahead of them. I am hoping that a strong support community will grow from this and that all of our legacies will enhance the future treatment and care of those who are affected with TBI.

No comments:

Post a Comment