Sunday, April 5, 2015

A Poem from Paul's perspective with TBI


WHAT IF….

 I could tell you what I thought about my life.

 I could remember what I just told you.

 I could tell you when I hurt and where it hurts.

 I could drive myself where I need to go.

 I never had to age.

 My brain was as normal as yours.

 I was able to be like every other man.

 My best friend was actually my wife.

 I knew what I just ate for longer than 30 seconds.

I never had to rely upon someone to give me a shower so that I could clean myself.

I was able to take care of my toiletries and not have to have someone clean up after me.

My family truly knew what I wanted.

I was able to be understood without repeating my words slower or over and over again.

 
When strangers see me they wouldn’t think I am retarded or less than human.

 
I could be a father.

 
I was able to maintain a lengthy conversation without repeating what I just said several times.

 
You had to keep up with me and I was able to hold the door open for you.

 
I did not have a Traumatic Brain Injury…

 
Would you still care for me...Love me...Want to be around me...Treat me as a man?     

 
WHAT IF---This was the Fact and not the Fiction…

 I have had a good life but I wanted more.

 

Written by Shana Standley for her brother Derryl “Paul” Standley

No comments:

Post a Comment